Some people have no issues standing up in front of a group of people and being as charming and confident as ever. Others can stare at the crumbled up piece of paper in their hands and still shake with beads of sweat running down their foreheads while standing at the podium. I just turn beet red and my voice starts to crack, even if the audience is a group of 5 and they are people I've known forever. A speech could be a presentation for work or a form of self-expression in front of friends. Being in the wedding biz, I've been able to listen to my fair share of speeches. Thank goodness I'm part of the audience for these occasions.
Case in point.
First rule, get the guests' attention. Stop everyone from chatting to their neighbors so that they can listen to you express your gratitude and love.
The sister of the bride had such an amazing speech tonight that even left me on the brink of tears. They are a client and I have only met them once so there was no real emotional attachment similar to those for friends and family.
The second speech came from the groom. After listening to all these emotional speeches, the groom seemed poised and ready to anchor the team as he mentioned. He took a few gulps from his wine glass and proceeded to thank the numerous family members that now make his life complete. He then went on to thank his new bride for "showing him how to shave behind his balls." Ballsy. The bride ducked below the head table. Yes, he got everyone's attention. He had no qualms speaking in front of everyone. It sure tops the list of speeches for 2007!
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment