Monday, July 03, 2006

Trained Young -- Totally Obvious...

I always admired how dedicated Tiger (need I write a last name..not!) is to his sport...yeah...golf..never really enjoyed watching freshly-cut grass on TV until Tiger got into the game. Then I was somewhat hooked to just watching him make the next "decision" in his head..the next shot of birdie or eagle...or if I'm lucky, the hole-in-one. Then you start to find out when Tiger got into the love of the game, or how he learned to be so good. His father started him off at a very young age...in the right path to being the super athlete he is today.

While trying to master a new sport (a much more laid-back one compared to say...running)...Stinky (formerly known as Militant A) and I were taking golf lessons after a night on the town. Note to self: do not book a lesson after a planned night of excessive drinking and potential lack of sleep. The motion of a golf swing can really hurt you in more ways than one! ;). Afterwards, a few more peeps decided to practice at the driving range...I decided to sit back, get a tan, and scope out the eye-candy...instead I see a bunch of grade-schoolers practicing their swing...holy hanna!..it's true..these kids start off young and could be the next Tiger! Why didn't my parents start me off young?? :)


Apparently I found another evidence of this type of training and the success rate. Kit Kat mentioned his love of hockey stats and how he used to read the paper and study the hockey almanac (there is such a thing?) as a kid. Of course this may all be due to his idol --> Wayne (yes, should be another no-brainer, one-named super athlete). Kit Kat took a calculator and calculated game stats and projections...you think this has led to his career in finance and budget planning??? (heheh) He started telling me random digits that I personally cannot recall for the life of me save for a recollection of a few #s in the range for a ten digit student number back in university days. (hehe...come on...ten digits, you have a one in 10 chance of getting one of the numbers ;) ) He told me his driver's licence number...but when would I need to remember that too? Tell me when it has been useful!

Kit Kat: When we were in Japan, I took down phone numbers for Beer Goggles because he did not have a pen...

Me: The Beer Goggles Girl???

Kit Kat: no, someone else...

Hmm...if only I didn't stop Kit Kat from reciting all the numbers he knew...hehe..I'm sure they will all come in handy one day ;)

No comments: