Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"Food" Samples @ the Market

Many people seem to love the food sample stands at Costco. It's a live version of an infomercial and you get to sample the product..and if well made, you're enticed right away to bring the item home. While being at Costco, we're able to read the labels and easily figure out what exactly you are eating - salsa, chicken, mini pizzas...you get the drift. When you get to the Asian supermarkets, that is when the items become tricky, because the labels may not be in the language we are accustomed to. Sure, I can identify a wonton or a green-onion pancake...but something that looks bit more..."exotic" or does not look like anything I've ever eaten before..may not entirely entice me.

After eating at the food fair, we decided to browse inside the supermarket to see what snacks are available. While trying to still digest my lunch, I was walking slowly behind Lemon when we noticed there were many food sample stands near us. Lemon only had a few bites of lunch so she had the munchies but had no particular craving. It's great stuff, similar to sampling a variety of gelato before committing to one flavor (or two). She dives right in to see what was available. However, before the brain sensor tells my hand to move towards Lemon to stop her from reaching for the sample from the paper cup...she throws her head back and swallows the "soup" in one gulp.

Me: Damn Lemon! Do you even know what that sh*t is??? There was no sign anywhere near promoting the concoction. All I saw was a bag, full of nondescriptive dried herbs (I think that's what I saw!)

Lemon: Huh? oh..hmm..

Me: It could've been testosterone-producing stuff, or liquid viagra..or stuff not meant for us females?!

Lemon: Oh well...(and has a good laugh). Iron stomach.

Me: Dear Lord, you sure would be quite entertaining on trips as you would just about try anything and I would have to bring along a first aid kit for your impending tummy troubles!

No comments: